Me being me, I made a plan. The old “fail to plan, plan to fail” thing. I figured it probably wouldn’t go so well to just show up at the trailhead on the Mexican border and start walking north. I broke my Pacific Crest Trail planning down into six areas: getting oriented, training, gear, food, trail logistics, and financing.
- Getting Oriented: What does it take to hike the Pacific Crest Trail? How do you go about doing it?
- Training: Getting in shape for a long trail. Developing skills for the trail that I may not already have.
- Gear: Deciding what gear to carry and wear. Testing the gear before I go.
- Food: What will I eat? How much will I eat? How will I cook it?
- Trail LogisticsTransportation to and from the trail. Permits. Navigating the trail. Resupplying food, fuel, and gear.
- Financing: How much will this all cost? And how do I pay for it?